Tuesday, March 8, 2016

La Vie En Rose En Pere Lachaise

How completely GORGEOUS was Edith Piaf?  I just watched her video on youtube singing La Vie En Rose live:


Watching her NEVER fails to put a smile on my face.  I hope it does the same for you my kind reader. When I was in Paris in 2014 I went to Pere Lachese Cemetery specifically to pay my respects to Edith.  Sadly, my mates were EXHAUSTED after searching the cemetery for her high and low. Huge tip, for the first timer to this amazing cemetery: wear comfortable shoes and either download a map on your phone, print it from home, or buy the map from a vendor outside the cemetery.  

The cemetery is AMAZING.  It's like no cemetery in the states that I have seen.  I grew up in San Francisco and have been to many funerals in Colma.  Colma is a city known to have more dead residents than alive, as it is a city primarily of cemetery.  When my youngest child was born I would take her on stroller rides through the beautifully manicured cemetery's in Hayward.  Mainly because it was large, safe, and always green and lovely. But none compare to the beauty of Pere Lachese, as seen through my lens:
Pere Lachaise was not very crowded and it was also safe, quiet, and full of beautiful and interesting monuments, such as the grave site of Victor Noir.  His grave is a monument of a man lying down as if just shot. It appears that he has an erection in his pants. Legend has it, that by rubbing this area and leaving a flower in his hat, a woman is guaranteed a husband within the year. A girl's got to do what a girl's got to do. LOL. Read more at Listverse .  

One of my mates made it her mission to pay her respects to Jim Morrison, lead singer of The Doors. They say that it is customary to take drugs and leave something personal like a pair of underwear at his grave site.  Alas, she left an earring and took a Beano capsule [it controls gas - hey, you use what you have LOL].
 Nevertheless, the Pere Lachaise is GORGEOUS and I WILL pay homage to my Edith when I return to this wonderful and ethereal place!


No comments:

Post a Comment