Sunday, April 17, 2016

Darling Daughter

Roses she did not receive on her birthday.
Or sweet 16, or wedding day.
She always wondered about his face and if he was a man of grace.
Sinful cholo, drunk, marijuano, to be told.
Mom was always quick to scold.
Artist, dreamer, waste of space.
Really? Who cared about his face.
Thirty three is when we met.
In one week's time, I would have lost that bet.
Never lost hope for his lost little girl.
Ever searching through endless names without a pearl.
Zest for life, yes this was true.
Love unconditional to this strange girl in blue.
Opium, alcohol, marijuana, and tattooed gangster days.
Veins filled with passion, life, and spiritual ways.
Even though you're a stranger we share the same blood.
You took me to your desert and gave me Jesus mud.
Oh the trouble I will be in, to meet you was practically a sin.
Understand now, he was always there.
Drugged, drunk, painted hands, but he still cared.
Ah yes, I got his looks, mind, and his serious game, 
Darling daughter is my new name.

1 comment:

  1. Very powerful, graphic, full of the loss and well done!

    ReplyDelete